Research and content creation
January 2009 – present
- Clients have included Bench Accounting, Canadian Running Magazine, Shopify, Freshbooks, Yahoo Lifestyle, The Urban Worker Project, The North Face Endurance Series, MakersNation, the Child and Family Research Institute (CFRI), and Emily Carr University of Art and Design; as well as researchers from the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, and McGill University.
- Created the "Just Write" workshop series that combines writing coaching and physical activity to help attendees unlock their creative potential.
CreativeMornings Sunshine Coast
Host and Founder September 2017 - present
- Developed and currently piloting new model of CreativeMornings events for rural communities. Developed partnerships with the Gibsons Public Market, The Cooperators Sunshine Coast, Gibsons Tapworks, and Community Futures Sunshine Coast. First event took place on Jan 19, and had 60 attendees.
Event Coordinator and Communications April 2014 – December 2014
Host and Organizer December 2014 – April 2017
- Oversaw organizing committee, a team of 40 volunteers, and strategic direction of the CreativeMornings Toronto chapter.
- Selected speakers and venues in accordance with global monthly themes; reached speaker gender parity for the first time in the history of the chapter, and maintained both years that I was host.
- Developed partnerships with BrainStation, Reunion Island Coffee, Foodee, Shopify, VisualTalks, Cossette, and Shutterstock.
- Contributed to Toronto CreativeMornings blog, and social media accounts.
- Held the first annual speaker-sponsor-volunteer dinner; created "collaboration station", a new initiative that facilitates collaboration between attendees post-event; held first organizing committee strategic planning session.
The Hospital for Sick Children
Medical Writer/Editor, AboutKidsHealth September 2013 – October 2015
- Co-led project development and grant application to the Public Health Agency of Canada for a multi-sector national level health intervention project that will develop a serious mobile game to decrease smoking levels in Indigenous youth.
- Lead content development and oversee editorial process from conception to publication.
- Coordinated complex projects between teams of Subject Matter Experts, medical illustrators, IT support workers and managing editorial staff.
- Supervised, trained and oversaw work performed by editorial interns and freelance staff.
Spinal Cord Injury BC
Grants and Outcomes Coordinator August 2012 – September 2013
- Coordinated and submitted successful grant applications to Vancouver Coastal Health, the City of Vancouver, the Bryan Adams Foundation, Shoppers Drug Mart, the Prince George Community Foundation and more.
- Created and implemented new system for tracking program metrics, for reporting and measurement of program success.
BC Children’s Hospital
Research Development Coordinator, Child & Family Research Institute September 2009 – August 2012
- Collaborated on successful funding applications to the Networks of Centres of Excellence, the Canadian Institutes for Health Research, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, the National Science and Engineering Research Council, the Bill Gates Foundation and more.
- Trained and supervised work-study students.
- Co-developed ‘Visual thinking’ workshop to teach researchers about how to visually enhance their grant applications.
Beaty Biodiversity Museum
Special Programs Volunteer October 2012 – September 2013
- Helped to deliver educational and community outreach programs, including a monthly Nature Club for children, and arts events for adults.
BrainStation Career Development Workshop Aug 23, 2017
Record Club Storytelling Night – Control June 16, 2017
DesignTO Panel Discussion with Laura Stein and Altaira Northe September 23 2015
Step Into the Spotlight Panel Discussion with Alexia Vernon Jan 12, 2016
- Digital Marketing
- Strategic communication for organizations
- Fundamentals of social media
- Organizational sustainability
- Creative coding and data visualization
- Scientist knowledge translation
IT skills/ tools
Mac IOS or PC, MS Office, Adobe CS, Wordpress, Basic HTML, digital channels (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, and Email),Google Analytics and Drive, MailChimp, CMS systems, Slack, and blogging platforms such as Wordpress and Medium
Bachelor of Environmental Science, University of British Columbia