Research and content creation
January 2009 – present
- Clients have included Canadian Running Magazine, Shopify, Yahoo Lifestyle, The North Face Endurance Series, MakersNation, the Child and Family Research Institute (CFRI), and Emily Carr University of Art and Design; as well as researchers from the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, and McGill University.
Event Coordinator and Communications April 2014 – December 2014
Host and Organizer December 2014 – present
- Oversee organizing committee, a team of 40 volunteers, and strategic direction of the CreativeMornings Toronto chapter.
- Select speakers and venues in accordance with global monthly themes; in 2015, reached speaker gender parity for the first time.
- Developed partnerships with BrainStation, Reunion Island Coffee, Foodee, Shopify, VisualTalks, Cossette, and Shutterstock.
- Contribute to Toronto CreativeMornings blog, and social media accounts.
- Held the first annual speaker-sponsor-volunteer dinner; created "collaboration station", a new initiative that facilitates collaboration between attendees post-event.
The Next Big Thing
Community Development Manager (contract), January 2016 – April 2016
- Performed an environmental scan of accelerator programs in Canada.
- Developed web copy and blog content.
The Hospital for Sick Children
Medical Writer/Editor, AboutKidsHealth September 2013 – October 2015
- Co-led project development and grant application to the Public Health Agency of Canada for a multi-sector national level health intervention project that will develop a serious mobile game to decrease smoking levels in Indigenous youth.
- Lead content development and oversee editorial process from conception to publication.
- Coordinate complex projects between teams of Subject Matter Experts, medical illustrators, IT support workers and managing editorial staff.
- Supervise, train and oversee work performed by editorial interns and freelance staff.
Spinal Cord Injury BC
Grants and Outcomes Coordinator August 2012 – September 2013
- Coordinated and submitted successful grant applications to Vancouver Coastal Health, the City of Vancouver, the Bryan Adams Foundation, Shoppers Drug Mart, the Prince George Community Foundation and more.
- Created and implemented new system for tracking program metrics, for reporting and measurement of program success.
BC Children’s Hospital
Research Development Coordinator, Child & Family Research Institute September 2009 – August 2012
- Collaborated on successful funding applications to the Networks of Centres of Excellence, the Canadian Institutes for Health Research, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, the National Science and Engineering Research Council, the Bill Gates Foundation and more.
- Trained and supervised work-study students.
- Co-developed ‘Visual thinking’ workshop to teach researchers about how to visually enhance their grant applications.
Beaty Biodiversity Museum
Special Programs Volunteer October 2012 – September 2013
- Helped to deliver educational and community outreach programs, including a monthly Nature Club for children, and arts events for adults.
DesignTO Panel Discussion with Laura Stein and Altaira Northe September 23 2015
Step Into the Spotlight Panel Discussion with Alexia Vernon Jan 12, 2016
- Digital Marketing
- Strategic communication for organizations
- Fundamentals of social media
- Organizational sustainability
- Creative coding and data visualization
- Scientist knowledge translation
IT skills/ tools
Mac IOS or PC, MS Office, Adobe CS, Wordpress, Basic HTML
Bachelor of Environmental Science, University of British Columbia